Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Language Project: Sample of Giving Directions Dialogue (Blog Entry 2)

Hi gangs! As promised earlier, below is the sample of giving directions dialogue taken from http://esl.about.com/od/intermediateconversation/a/Asking-Directions.htm

Feel free to visit the blog. There are so much things to learn inside it!



Giving Directions


Bob: Excuse me, I'm afraid I can't find a bank. Do you know where one is?

Frank: Well, there are a few banks near here. Do you have a particular bank in mind?

Bob: I'm afraid I don't. I just need to withdraw some money from either a teller, or an ATM.

Frank: OK, that's easy.

Bob: I'm going by car.

Frank: Well, in that case, go straight ahead on this street until the third traffic light. Take a left there, and continue on until you come to a stop sign.

Bob: Do you know what the name of the street is?

Frank: Yes, I think it's Jennings Lane. Now, when you come to the stop sign, take the street on the left. You'll be on 8th Avenue.

Bob: OK, I go straight ahead on this street to the third traffic light. That's Jennings lane.

Frank: Yes, that's right.

Bob: Then I continue on to the stop sign and take a right on 8th Avenue.

Frank: No, take a left at the stop sign onto 8th Avenue.

Bob: Oh, thanks. What's next?

Frank: Well, continue on 8th Avenue for about 100 yards, past a supermarket until you come to another traffic light. Take a left and continue on for another 200 yards. You'll see the bank on the right.

Bob: Let me repeat that: I go about 100 yards, past a supermarket to the traffic light. I take a left and continue for another 200 yards. The bank is on the right.

Frank: Yes, that's it!

Bob: OK. Can I repeat this to see if I've understood everything?

Frank: Certainly.

Bob: Go straight ahead until the third traffic light. Take a left, and continue on to the stop sign. Turn left onto 8th Avenue.

Frank: Yes, that's right.

Bob: Go past the supermarket, to another traffic light, take the first left and I'll see the bank on the left.

Frank: Almost, you'll see the bank on the right, after 200 yards or so.

Bob: Well, thank you very much for taking the time to explain this to me!

Frank: Not at all. Enjoy your visit!

Bob: Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are invited to comment. Have a nice day!